Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Project Manager - Haiti
Location: Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Last Date: September 18, 2011
The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance — International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. Its objective is to strengthen democratic institutions and processes. International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA’s notable areas of expertise are: electoral processes, political parties, constitution-building processes, democracy and gender and democracy assessments. International IDEA works worldwide. It is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and has offices in Brussels, New York, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
Project Manager - Haiti
Application deadline: 18 September 2011
Location: Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Main functions of the post:
* To develop, implement and coordinate International IDEA’s activities in Haiti, propose specific activities to be included in the respective annual work plan within the scope of the project “Supporting the Process of Democratic Transition and Consolidation in Haiti”, and issue the annual work plan and budget to be submitted both internally and to the donors with the approval of the Director of the Latin America and the Caribbean Programme;
* To effectively manage the Haiti project team, office, work plan and budget, ensuring timely and quality delivery of project outputs and that International IDEA’s thematic work, design and implementation of Haiti work plans and budgets are developed according to International IDEA regulations and procedures;
* To maintain collaborative working relations and partnerships with the national and international counterparts and relevant institutions, including donors, through effective communication, consultation and reporting;
* To forge synergies with other democracy support initiatives in Haiti to maximize the project impact;
* To collaborate with other International IDEA offices and programmes, particularly with International IDEA’s Permanent Observer to the United Nations, as directed by the Director for the Latin America and the Caribbean Programme or any person designated by him/her;
* To provide regular information and analysis on political trends and challenges for democracy in Haiti as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Latin America and the Caribbean Programme Director and, as appropriate, in cooperation with relevant International IDEA thematic or regional units/teams the incumbent performs the following duties:
* Responsible for the final design, implementation and reporting of the project work plans and budgets according to International IDEA procedures and as required by the Director of the Latin America and the Caribbean Programme, ensuring participatory project planning;
* Manages the Haiti team and project activities, including proposal preparation and budgeting, drafts ToRs and work specifications and mobilizes goods and services to implement project activities;
* Responsible for the overall daily management of the Haiti office and office staff and its functions, including managing staff’s timesheets, office hours, holidays and staff leave and asset inventory;
* Proposes potential funding initiatives and approaches for project components to the Director of the Latin America and the Caribbean Programme and, where authorised, conducts fund raising activities and/or initiatives and/or negotiations in line with institutional fund raising policies, so as to optimise and protect International IDEA’s financial and other resource interests;
* Manages and monitors the allocation and use of the financial resources;
* Ensures timely submission of regular progress and annual reports on project implementation as required (progress against planned activities, expenses against estimated budget, etc.), as well as the appropriate filing and availability of documentation required for internal and external evaluation purposes;
* Takes the lead in the creation and implementation of a system for regular monitoring and impact assessment of the project activities;
* Actively integrates a gender perspective in programming activities under his/her responsibility;
* Responsible for the preparation of baseline analysis and issuance of background papers and documents regarding the outcomes of the project as required;
* Supports the democratic reform agenda in Haiti; specifically, manages dialogue and participatory constitutional reform processes for enhancing representation, participation and democratic governability;
* Manages support and capacity-building activities to enhance the effectiveness and integrity of elections and Election Management Bodies in Haiti;
* Responsible for the coordination of State of Democracy Assessment activities in Haiti at national and local level in accordance with the project and International IDEA methodologies;
* Identifies, liaises and works with all relevant local, national and international governmental and non-governmental actors forging synergies to maximize the project impact; Maintains and develops relevant professional contacts and networks of cooperation with those active in the field of political reform and democracy assistance both in Haiti and in the region, including practitioners, policy makers, academics and the international community;
* Liaises and networks with International IDEA Member States and partner organisations as needed;
* Responsible for the development of project dissemination and International IDEA information activities, ensures effective communication of the project results;
* Represents International IDEA in Haiti as appropriate, provides information and expertise for target groups, the media, etc.;
* Issues periodic reports and updates on political developments, trends and challenges for democracy in Haiti; Reviews and approves the updating of the project website and/or the website of the Latin America and the Caribbean Programme as pertinent;
* Advises the Latin America and the Caribbean Programme Director on all matters pertaining to the democratisation process in Haiti and collaborates with other International IDEA offices and programmes, particularly with International IDEA’s Permanent Observer to the United Nations as required;
* Undertakes short-term international missions as needed;
* Carries out other duties as assigned by the Director of the Latin America and the Caribbean Programme or any person designated by him/her.
Qualifications and skills
Level and type of formal education:
* University degree, preferably a master’s or Ph.D. degree, in Political Science, International Relations, Public Administration, Business Administration, Economics, Social Sciences, Law, Human Rights or other relevant discipline.
* Senior professional, with a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience, preferably in developing and managing of similar initiatives, ideally with experience in team management, analytical and practical work for democracy support projects at national, regional or international level in multilateral and/or intergovernmental institutions;
* Specific field experience, knowledge of the country and familiarity with democracy support initiatives in Haiti as well with comparative experiences are highly desirable;
* Experience in handling research tasks and analysing information, writing, reporting and conveying knowledge.
* Ability to carry out strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
* Ability to design and implement monitoring and evaluation of programmes and projects, and to mobilize resources;
* Ability to focus on project impact and results, and willingness to respond constructively to feedback;
* Excellent problem solving, conflict resolution, team coordination and organisational skills as well as an efficiency-driven perspective;
* Ability to set priorities, work under pressure with accuracy and dedication and meet reporting deadlines;
* Proven ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas and to transfer knowledge and skills; Political maturity, personal initiative and creativity;
* Strong research, analytical and communication skills, both oral and written;
* Ability to motivate and inspire colleagues and coordinate teams;
* Ability to engage partners, donors and other interlocutors, to promote knowledge sharing and learning and to develop and maintain networks and strong relationships with all relevant stakeholders;
* Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
* Gender sensitivity;
* Excellent interpersonal skills;
* Knowledge of the country, familiarity with democracy support initiatives in Haiti and knowledge of major trends and developments in the field of democracy support;
* Ability to work both independently and as a team member;
* Propensity to further learning and development of skills in areas relevant to the project;
* Capability for travelling internationally and field work;
* Commitment to International IDEA’s mission, strategic goals, values and ethical standards.
* English: Fluency written and oral;
* French: Fluency written and oral;
* Creole: Proficiency highly desirable; otherwise, ability and desire to learn Creole in the short term;
* Spanish: Shall be considered an asset.
* Good command of Microsoft Office applications, databases, Internet and web search tools.
Criteria for Professional Performance
The incumbent of this post is expected to act according to a set of principles when carrying out her/his responsibilities at the Headquarters, the Regional Office, and in the field and, as appropriate to her/his role, display the following characteristics:
Be a Facilitator of Change
Get Results/ Be Accountable and Proactive
Lead By Example
Be a Decision Maker
Be a Model of Integrity
Be a Team Worker/Builder
Strive for Success and Excellence
Plan and Organize
Terms of contract: 1 Year Fixed Term Appointment with possible extension.
Deadline for applications:
Applications should be submitted no later than 18 September 2011. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
Apply at: https://idea.easycruit.com/vacancy/application/591944/26075?iso=gb
Should internet not be an option, applications can be submitted to International IDEA by fax: +46-20 24 22 or by post: International IDEA, SE-103 34, Stockholm, Sweden
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
via email each day. Subscribe to 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to