Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Municipal Governance/Decentralization Expert, Albania Local Governance
Management Systems International (MSI)
Last Date: September 20, 2011
Municipal Governance/Decentralization Expert, Albania Local Governance,
Company Profile: Management Systems International (MSI) is a global international development firm based in Washington, D.C. providing specialized short- and long-term technical assistance. MSI is part of Coffey International Development, a global international development consulting firm. Together with Coffey ID, MSI now has more than 1,500 development professionals worldwide, a corporate presence in 11 countries and manages more than 200 projects worldwide. It currently manages more than 20 long-term projects in countries, including Iraq, Sudan, Colombia and Russia. Broadly, MSI implements a range of analytical and field projects in its core technical areas, including democracy and governance, strategic management and performance improvement, organizational capacity building, human development and natural resource management. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.
MSI is applying for the Albania Planning and Local Governance Project (PLGP), which will be funded by USAID. The purpose of PLGP is to provide training and technical assistance to the Government of Albania (GOA) and local governments to help implement decentralization legislation and reforms; improve transparency and accountability; strengthen municipal services; and improve technical capabilities and cooperation regarding urban and regional planning between the GOA and local governments.
The Municipal Governance/Decentralization Expert will support decentralization structural and policy analysis; facilitate dialogue and understanding among municipalities and regional coalitions with GOA ministries; facilitate cooperation and coalition-building among municipalities; and provide technical support to municipal and regional efforts to improve collaboration regarding the quality-, and cost-effectiveness of municipal services. The Municipal Governance/ Decentralization Expert will also provide technical assistance and coordinate training opportunities for municipal officers and regional coalitions in project planning and development for funding consideration by the GOA, European Union, and other international donors.
The Municipal Governance/Decentralization Expert must be willing to make a commitment of up to three (3) years to the project and will be based in Tirana, Albania.
** Please note that this is a local position. Only Albanian citizens are eligible to apply.**
• Support collaboration and cooperation among municipal governments through understanding of decentralization issues and advocating for improve municipal capacity in services, revenues, and economic growth;
• Support the identification of common interests among municipalities via briefings, conferences, and workshops to build cooperation toward advocating and achieving common interests;
• Assess the skills of municipal service providers; the quality of municipal services; and support identification and analysis of ways to improve municipal services, including through regional cooperation where appropriate;
• Support implementation of the project’s municipal training and technical assistance program in consultation with officials from participating municipalities and regional coalitions;
Advise the GOA, municipalities, and regional coalitions on decentralization implementation, policy, structural, and regional service improvement strategies, opportunities, and projects;
• Support opportunities for regional cooperation on economic development projects, particularly those involving cooperation among municipal governments, business leaders, and citizens;
• Monitor and assess the project’s municipal service training and technical assistance;
Facilities regional collaboration regarding implementation of the decentralization and municipal governance laws and policies;
• Support project assessments, studies, or project development opportunities regarding municipal governance services and/or economic growth;
• Support the collection project data and assist in writing project proposals and reports;
Support building a strong network of municipalities with a vision and strategy for improved municipal services and economic growth.
a. A citizen of Albania willing to commit to the full five (5) years of the Planning and Local Governance Project (PLGP).
b. At least three (3) years of experience working in local governance/decentralization in Albania.
c. Three (3) to five (5) years of experience managing donor projects in local governance, decentralization, or related areas.
d. Knowledge of local governance and decentralization, local governance reform issues, networks, and leaders in Albania.
e. Strong track record of successfully managing teams of technical experts to define and achieve complex goals in urban and regional planning.
f. Strong technical skills and knowledge in spatial planning; familiarity with European standards and planning policies.
g. Preferred advanced degree in public administration, economics, law, or a related field.
h. Excellent English language reading, speaking, writing skills.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
To apply, please visit our website:
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
via email each day. Subscribe to 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to