Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Head of Mission - Peru
Location: Lima, Peru
Last Date: September 11, 2011
The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance — International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. Its objective is to strengthen democratic institutions and processes. International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA’s notable areas of expertise are: electoral processes, political parties, constitution-building processes, democracy and gender and democracy assessments. International IDEA works worldwide. It is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and has offices in Brussels, New York, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
Head of Mission - Peru
Application deadline: 11 September 2011
Location: Lima, Peru
Home page: http://www.idea.int
The main functions of the post are:
* To oversee the Peru Programme and direct involvement in its activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the immediate supervision of the Head of Mission for Andean Subregion, the Temporary Agent performs the following duties:
* Ensures the successful implementation of the Peru Programme in achieving expected results as defined in the Programme of Operations / Work Plan and Budget;
* Participates in dialogue processes, training courses, preparation of publications and launching of new national and subregional activities;
* Ensures efficient management of the Peru team, by developing and implementing clear and effective work and communication processes; fosters effective collaboration between staff in Peru, and manages change in organizational an personal working methods, practices and behaviors;
* Ensures and oversees the Peru team in the design and implementation of work plans and budgets according to institutional procedures and regulations, so as to facilitate effective programme, budget planning and control;
* Maintains positive and effective relations with political leaders, donors and government representatives in Peru;
* Oversees the development of new projects for external fundraising for Peru;
* Provides the Andean Head of Mission with ongoing political advice and counsel;
* Actively integrates the gender perspective in the programming activities under his/her responsibility;
* Carries out other duties at the subregional level as assigned by the Head of Mission for the Andean Region or any person designated by him/her.
Qualifications and skills
Level and type of formal education:
* University degree in law, public administration, sociology, political science or equivalent.
* Minimum of 10 years experience in processes of political reform and/or in the implementation of democracy building programmes in or supported by governmental, inter-governmental or non-governmental organizations. Experience in organizing academic and political events;
* Experience from working in an international context will be an advantage.
* Strong knowledge of Andean political context, in particular, in Peru;
* Proven track record in networking and relationship building in the Andean Region, in particular, in Peru;
* Ability to work with leaders across the political spectrum;
* Excellent organizing skills, ability to handle confidential information and to work in a multicultural team;
* Strong interest in the practical and theoretical aspects of democracy and its role in development, human security and international relations;
* Excellent communication skills and ability to make public presentations;
* Proven analytical skills and drafting capacities;
* Proven ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas and to transfer knowledge and skills;
* Good sense of initiative, ability to set priorities and work under pressure with accuracy and dedication;
* Ability and capacity to work effectively as part of a team and to adapt to a multi-cultural environment;
* Ability to work both independently, with minimum supervision and in teams.
* Ability to appreciate diversity and work as part of a team in such an environment;
* Ongoing collaborative contact with International IDEA offices (sub regional, regional and HQ);
* High-level political negotiation and coordination with Government, and political leaders. Frequent contact with member state representatives.
Independence of work:
* Independent work within the general framework of International IDEA’s Strategy and Programme of Operations;
* General International IDEA guidelines apply.
Difficulty of work:
* The incumbent is expected to show a high level of professionalism, personal initiative and creativity. S/he should be able to work under tight deadlines and to cope with situations of stress and in addition should be willing to travel on official missions.
* Spanish: Fluent written and oral
* English: Fluent written and oral
* Other: Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region would also be an asset.
* Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office, Internet and web search tools.
Criteria for Professional Performance
The incumbent of this post is expected to act according to a set of principles when carrying out her/his responsibilities as appropriate to their role, display the following characteristics:
* Be a Facilitator of Change
* Get Results/ Be Accountable and Proactive
* Lead By Example
* Be a Decision Maker
* Be a Model of Integrity
* Celebrate Diversity
* Be a Team Worker/Builder
* Strive for Success and Excellence
* Plan and Organize
Terms of contract: 2 years Fixed Term Appointment.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
Apply at: Chttps://idea.easycruit.com/vacancy/application/591349/26075?iso=gbt
Should internet not be an option, applications can be submitted to International IDEA by fax: +46-20 24 22 or by post: International IDEA, SE-103 34, Stockholm, Sweden
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
via email each day. Subscribe to 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to