Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL)
Location: Leidschendam, The Netherlands
Last Date: September 10, 2011
Email: September 10, 2011 (Reference:
Temporary Vacancy Announcement
VACANCY REF: TVA-NL-OTR-LAS-P3-370
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 10 September 2011
ISSUANCE DATE: 11 August 2011
LOCATION: Leidschendam, The Netherlands
DIVISION/SECTION: Registry/Legal Advisory Section
TITLE: Legal Officer
Depending on professional background, experience and family situation, a competitive compensation and benefits package will be offered. The successful applicant will be offered a temporary appointment of four months duration (maternity coverage) limited to the Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL). Any subsequent extension(s) are subject to terms of the Tribunal’s mandate and/or the availability of the funds. The Special Tribunal for Lebanon is an international inter-governmental organization with its own independent legal identity and not a UN organization. However, STL follows the UN common system for benefits and entitlements to its staff members. UN staff members may also serve on loan from their parent department/office, if selected.
Under the overall direction of the Registrar and the general supervision of the Legal Advisor to the Registrar, the incumbent is responsible for providing and coordinating all legal and related policy advice on issues related to the functioning and management of the Tribunal. These issues refer to the internal law of the organization, including all legal issues related to the administration of the Tribunal (procurement, human resources, and general administrative law matters) and the legal aspects of the Tribunal’s external activities, including negotiations of Memorandum of Understandings and international agreements, host country matters, and privileges and immunities. The incumbent provides specialized legal advice on the negotiation of agreements to enforce the Tribunal’s sentences and on the relocation of threatened witnesses. The Legal Officer also serves as the principal legal adviser to the Registrar during the absence of the Legal Advisor, and may also be called upon to provide legal advice to the President of the Tribunal, the Prosecutor and Head of the Defence Office when required. Perform other related duties as may be required by the Registrar.
• Professionalism – In-depth theoretical knowledge, including knowledge of international legal procedures and instruments and significant experience in applying legal expertise to analysing diverse range of complex and unusual legal issues and problems and in developing innovative and creative solutions; Outstanding drafting skills; strong research and outstanding analytical skills; Discretion and sound judgement in applying legal expertise to sensitive, complex legal issues; proven ability to effectively review and edit the work of others; diplomacy and tact.
• Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others.
• Planning & Organizing – Strong organisational skills including proven ability to plan and coordinate own work as well as that of others, and to work under tight deadlines; identifies priority activities and assignments and adjust priorities based on exigency.
• Communication – Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to make and defend recommendations; ability to persuade people with varying points of view; ability to convey difficult issues and positions including to senior officials; ability to prepare written reports and orally convey information in a clear, concise, accurate and meaningful manner; superior skills in legal writing and expression and ability to independently prepare legal papers.
• Education: Advanced university degree in law preferably with specialization in criminal or international law. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• Work Experience: At least 5 years (7 if in possession of an undergraduate degree in the above mentioned fields) of progressively responsible professional legal experience in international law, criminal law, administrative law or commercial law.
• Languages: Arabic, English and French are the official languages of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon. For this post proficiency in oral and written English or French is required and working knowledge of the other is desirable and may be required. Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
HOW TO APPLY
1. ALL APPLICANTS are requested to complete a Special Tribunal Personal History Form available at the Website: http://www.stl-tsl.org
2. ALL APPLICATIONS should be submitted by the deadline via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It is not necessary at this stage to send copies of qualifications, previous employment contracts, entire publications, etc.
Only applicants who are under serious consideration will be contacted. The Tribunal is not in a position to respond to queries regarding information on the status of vacancies or unsolicited open applications.
The Registrar Reserves the right not to make any appointment to this vacancy, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description. All applications will be handled with strictest confidentiality.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
via email each day. Subscribe to 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to