Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Save The Children Australia
Location: Honiara, Solomon Islands
Last Date: August 26, 2011
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Reference:
For over 90 years, Save the Children has been making a difference in children’s lives in more than 120 countries. We are the world’s largest independent child rights development organisation. From emergency relief to long-term development, Save the Children secures a child’s right to health, education and protection.
Save the Children Australia operate in Australia delivering domestic programs and in the Pacific region, including Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea and Timor Leste. We also support programs in Bangladesh, Laos, Cambodia, Afghanistan and Indonesia.
Save the Children are an equal opportunity organisation dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity.
About the role
The purpose of the role is to be responsible for leading, advising on and supporting “justice” activities affecting children in the Solomon Islands formal justice system. This includes working with court officials (magistrates and advocates), police officers and correctional services staff to improve adherence of children’s rights in the formal justice system; increase the use of diversion practices when dealing with young offenders; re-integration prospects for juvenile offenders; and advocate on law reform and legislative change issues.
The role includes:
• Providing advice and training on sound juvenile justice policies, procedures and practices
• Building capacity of local and central Government in diverting youth and children from the formal justice system to strengthen their ability to make appropriate and child-rights’ compliant decisions when children come into conflict with the law
• Working with Solomon Islands’ counterparts on policies and approaches with respect to the treatment of children and youth within the formal justice system
• Reintegration of juveniles detained in CSSI to their families and communities
• Contribute to advocacy initiatives in the Solomon Islands
The Justice Advisor will work closely with the CYiCL team at national and provincial level and other Save the Children project teams.
To be successful in this role, you will have skills, knowledge and experience in the following areas:
• Demonstrated legal experience, ideally in criminal advocacy / juvenile justice work (minimum 3 years).
• Demonstrated knowledge of court processes, alternative dispute resolution practices and principles of juvenile justice.
• Experience and practical understanding of courts, police and corrections and associated juvenile support and community services.
• Experience in legal reform and policy development
• Positive experience in working in an international or culturally diverse context
• Strong understanding of child rights and international conventions relevant to children in the justice system.
• Sound understanding of the child rights approach to development
• Demonstrated experience in capacity building, mentoring and training.
• Demonstrated leadership skills across justice sector stakeholders in a complex environment
• Demonstrated legal knowledge and skills
• Demonstrated budget management skills.
• Pijin language skills highly desirable.
How to apply
For more information and the selection criteria for this role, you can view the Position Description on the Save the Children website www.savethechildren.org.au at “Careers with Us”
Please send a copy of your CV with a cover letter. The addressing of the Selection Criteria for this role is not required formally, however covering key areas as points in your cover letter would be appreciated.
Closing date: COB 26th August 2011.
We work with children, communities and governments all over the world and we believe in the right person for the job regardless of where you come from and how you identify yourself. We need to keep children safe and as such, our selection process reflects our commitment to ensuring that only those who are suitable to work with children are considered for these posts. All successful applicants will therefore be required to complete a Police Check and must sign onto our Child Protection Policy and organisational Code of Conduct
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
via email each day. Subscribe to 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to