Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
China Program Manager
Institute for Industrial Productivity (IIP)
Location: Beijing, China
Last Date: August 31, 2011
Email: Helen.He@iipnetwork.org (Reference:
China Program Manager
About the Organization
The Institute for Industrial Productivity (IIP) is a global non-profit organization whose mission is to
help decision-makers in government and industry develop and implement policies and corporate
practices that will significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve economic efficiency in
the industrial sector. IIP’s work focuses primarily on energy-intensive industries (e.g., cement, iron &
steel, chemicals, petroleum refining, and pulp & paper), as well as on policies that influence the energy
intensity of "cross-cutting" equipment used in all industries. IIP serves as a hub for information on global
best practices, as well as a source for direct assistance in key countries, borrowing the best examples
of successful policy application from around the world. IIP is the principal voice on industrial efficiency
for the ClimateWorks Network, a global group of organizations (Best Practice Networks and Regional
Climate Foundations) that work in the nations and economic sectors with the highest potential for lowcarbon,
economic growth. A dynamic and highly strategic organization, IIP has brought on high-caliber
staff for offices in Beijing, Paris, New Delhi, and Washington, DC, supported by a Board of Directors and
a Strategic Advisory Group.
China Program Manger
IIP seeks a committed and energetic professional, the Program Manager, to strengthen its efforts in
China. The Manager will execute program strategies through effective international/local contracting and
project management, cultivation of relationships with experts in the field and other key stakeholders,
and providing best practice information and training to local partners. The Manager will be evaluated on
the effectiveness of information collection and production, its accessibility to IIP’s target audiences, tool
development and dissemination, and ongoing support to IIP projects and programs. All activities will
contribute to reductions in GHG emissions from industrial sources, which will be the ultimate
benchmark for the effectiveness of IIP and its staff.
The Manager will also be a key resource to the Energy Foundation’s China Sustainable Energy Program
(CSEP)—IIP’s regional funding and policy partner—as well as other organizations in the ClimateWorks
Network. This is an ideal opportunity for an experienced industrial efficiency professional looking to
leverage best practice knowledge at a global scale. IIP’s work in China will be conducted in cooperation
with IIP’s global team and through subcontracted international technical experts who will work closely
with national and local institutions.
The Manager will report to IIP’s Head of China Program.
Includes the following and other tasks as assigned:
Strategy Development and Implementation
• Engage with local decision-makers to understand their needs and translate them into project
activities; prioritize project activities based on needs, opportunities and available resources.
• Develop sector strategies based on identified needs of decision-makers and in collaboration with
sector experts, IIP’s global team, and CSEP.
• Identify potential consultants and desired projects / initiatives in coordination with the global team.
• Help award and provide oversight of contracts to develop and implement targeted policy goals.
• Provide in-house peer review of reports and other deliverables to ensure that high quality,
analytically rigorous, and technical work products emerge from IIP.
• Develop communications plans and materials to clearly communicate IIP’s sector strategies,
research, and tools.
• Develop or maintain contacts with key government and industry officials (e.g., National
Development & Reform Commission, Ministry of Industry and Information Technology).
• Cultivate supportive relationships with experts in the field and other key stakeholders to ensure the
effectiveness and efficiency of the IIP’s work.
• Map out opportunities for project developments, field engagements, and linkages between
different stakeholder groups working in China.
• Establish awareness of IIP's presence and expertise by maintaining relationships with the Energy
Foundation, ClimateWorks network, funders, and other experts.
• Represent IIP by disseminating best practice information; develop IIP’s external stature by
publishing papers, giving talks, and making presentations.
Management and Operations
• Provide project management and work product oversight to ensure that the global and in-country
teams consistently deliver high quality materials in a timely manner.
• Help evaluate the results of projects to ensure that GHG emission reductions have been
• Initiate and/or participate in sharing of knowledge, experience, expert contacts, and ideas across
sectors and countries by participating in regularly scheduled program team and other cross-sector
• Build IIP’s experts directory by developing and maintaining a list of key industrial efficiency experts
and institutions / organisations, who are leaders in the field.
The successful applicant will have the following minimum qualifications:
• Demonstrated commitment to IIP’s values, mission, and purpose.
• 10+ years work experience in industrial energy analysis and technology assessment, preferably
across sectors such as chemicals and petrochemicals, iron and steel, cement, paper, aluminum,
• Engineering background (Mechanical/Electrical/Chemical).
• Strong facilitation and negotiation skills with experience creating collaboration and consensus
among internal and external stakeholders; desire for and comfort with working in a collaborative
• Demonstrated networking capabilities to engage effectively with external and internal
stakeholders and experience facilitating collaboration across different sectors, including
government, academia, non-profit, business, and media.
• Proven ability to apply sound political and strategic judgment in complex situations.
• The ability to present technical information to a non-technical audience.
• Comfort with qualitative and quantitative energy policy analysis.
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills in Mandarin and English.
• Professionalism, poise and the ability to work as part of a team, maintain a sense of humor, and
interact with a diverse array of people.
• Strong and detail oriented organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities
in a fast-paced, start up environment.
• Strong intellect, creativity, flexibility, drive, and entrepreneurial capabilities.
• Willingness and comfort with frequent domestic and international travel.
Compensation and Benefits
The expected start date for this position is September 2011. The position will be located in Beijing,
China. IIP offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with
Interested applicants should forward resume, cover letter and salary requirements in Mandarin and
English to the following email address:
The Institute for Industrial Productivity is an equal opportunity employer.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
via email each day. Subscribe to 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to