Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Governing Bodies Officer
The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
Last Date: September 4, 2011
Duration of Assignment
2 years fixed-term (renewable)
The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an International Financial Institution and a Specialized United Nations Agency whose mission is to enable poor rural people to overcome poverty. IFAD’s headquarters is in Rome, Italy, and its staff work with poor rural people, their governments, communities and organisations in more than 80 countries to develop and finance programmes and projects aimed at increasing agricultural productivity and incomes. IFAD mobilizes resources and knowledge through a strategic coalition of clients, governments, financial and development institutions, NGOs and the private sector.
The Governing Bodies Office, within the Office of the Secretary of IFAD, is responsible for the effective and efficient planning and organization of IFAD’s governing body meetings. It is the focal point for the Fund’s institutional history with respect to governing body decisions and deliberations and the promotion of smooth relations with Member States by ensuring that commitments to the governing bodies are honoured and necessary follow-up actions are taken.
Duties and Responsibilities
In this context, under the general guidance of the Secretary of IFAD and the direct supervision of the Head of the Governing Bodies Office , the incumbent actively contributes to the planning and organization of the official business of sessions of IFAD’s Governing Bodies, their committees and working groups. In specific, the incumbent will:
• Coordinate and conduct research on and analysis of past governing body decisions and deliberations. Study the proceedings of governing body sessions with a view to identifying viable options, recommending solutions to issues; ensuring appropriate follow-up and bring to the attention of the Supervisor all matters requiring the Supervisor’s personal attention and those requiring escalation.
• Perform substantive review of documentation being submitted to the Fund’s governing bodies; liaise directly with document originators, with respect to deadlines for submission, content, consistency and style of official documentation.
• Prepare agendas for sessions of IFAD’s Governing Bodies; organize and attend planning meetings, and prepare the minutes thereof.
• Develop and maintain a user-friendly tracking system for items for future consideration/IFAD’s commitments towards its governing bodies, taking full responsibility for those of specific committees/working groups as assigned by the Supervisor.
• Represent the Head of the Governing Bodies Office at committee/working group meetings, and prepare summary reports of the proceedings.
• Formulate President’s talking points and draft Chairperson’s opening and closing statements and scripts, decisions and deliberations documents and other documentation required for governing body sessions, for approval by the Supervisor and the Secretary.
• Define modalities for streamlining the work of the office including through research on best practices of other international financial institutions and United Nations agencies and make recommendations to the Supervisor.
• Supervise and train junior staff as required and act as officer-in-charge for the Head of the Governing Bodies Office in her/his absence.
• Perform other related duties as required.
Education and Experience
• University degree in management, business administration, international relations, law or related area. An advanced degree in a related area would be an asset.
• At least five years of progressively responsible post-qualification experience working on administrative and policy issues in an international setting, with a particular focus on diplomatic relations, research, analysis and writing.
• Planning and organizing: excellent organizing skills, including the ability to manage several tasks/conflicting priorities simultaneously in a highess work environment, and to meet tight deadlines.
• Team-worker and team-builder: excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with people in a multi-cultural environment with respect for diversity.
• Proven analytical and evaluative skills and ability to conduct independent research and analysis, formulate options and make recommendations.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, including the ability to draft/edit a variety of correspondence and reports and to articulate ideas in a clear, concise style.
• Working knowledge of another official language of IFAD (Arabic, French, Spanish) would be an asset.
Applicants should note that IFAD staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the President of IFAD, and they may be assigned by him/her to any of the activities of IFAD, including field assignments and/or rotation within IFAD.
IFAD reserves the right to appoint a candidate at the appropriate grade commensurate with experience and knowledge.
Interested candidates are requested to apply by completing IFAD’s Personal History Form (PHF) in English. A separate CV may be attached if you so desire, only as a supplement and NOT a substitute to the PHF. The application should be made through the online system only. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY the instructions in “How to Apply” before you start.
In the interest of making most cost effective use of funds and resources, we are only able to respond to applicants who are short-listed for interview. Candidates who do not receive any feedback within three months should consider their application unsuccessful.
Candidates may be required to take a written test and to deliver a presentation as well as participate in interviews.
Apply Online :https://job.ifad.org/index.html?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&SiteId=1000&JobOpeningId=1041
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
via email each day. Subscribe to 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to