Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
The Global Canopy Programme
Last Date: August 26, 2011
Email: email@example.com (Reference:
JOB POSTING: ENVIRONMENTAL ECONOMIST
Type: Full time (1 year contract with a view to renewal)
Salary: Dependent on experience
Applications: Send CV and cover letter with salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org by Aug 26 2011
THE GLOBAL CANOPY PROGRAMME
The Global Canopy Programme is a small and dynamic tropical forest think-tank based in Oxford,
acting through our global networks of experts in science, policy, business, finance and forest
communities. We gather their tropical forest intelligence to spark insight, convene research and
design projects that can help leverage future large-scale systemic change. We demonstrate the value
of forests as natural capital and communicate it to the world. Our mission is to catalyse a shift across
the global economy and society in recognising tropical forests as natural capital essential to human
wellbeing and the sustainability of Earth’s ecosystem.
The Global Canopy Programme is seeking an experienced and dynamic environmental economist
who will engage our networks of public and private sector experts worldwide and lead our work
designing, catalysing and communicating ways to scale up finance for forests. The successful
candidate will help develop a Social Enterprise investment model to finance the transition to a more
sustainable economy in tropical forest regions by supporting and enhancing livelihoods and
maintaining ecosystem services. Other activities will include awareness-raising and confidencebuilding
measures across sectors; evidence gathering on successful forest finance mechanisms; and
catalysing forest finance demonstration activities in collaboration with local governments in forestowning
nations, partner NGOs and the finance sector.
1. Develop a detailed work plan for the Finance Programme with inputs from Programme
Heads and Directors.
2. Refine the Finance Programme’s social enterprise/impact investment model, learning
lessons from projects and approaches in the forest/climate/green finance arena.
3. Work with stakeholders and partners in NGOs and the finance sector and manage subcontractors
to operationalise the investment model in specific contexts.
4. Organising meetings and capacity-building activities, including with policymakers.
5. Develop funding proposals and grant applications, manage work plan and budgets, and
report to donors.
6. Write, review and edit reports and publications, working with the Comms team.
7. Assist GCP on all finance/economy related issues.
KEY SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Post-graduate qualification in a relevant branch of economics (environment or development).
• Experience with public and/or private sector finance.
• Economic valuation of ecosystem services and assessing the impacts of their loss.
• Experience of working with stakeholders in tropical forest countries, especially in Amazonia, is
• Project management, e.g. design, work plan management, subcontracting, partner
• Strong organisational, interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
• Dedication to work creatively and positively towards our mission; affinity for a dynamic nonprofit
• Fluency in written and spoken English. Languages an advantage, especially Portuguese,
Spanish and Bahasa Indonesia
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
via email each day. Subscribe to 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to