Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
World Agroforestry Centre
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Last Date: August 31, 2011
Email: email@example.com (Reference:
VACANCY: Senior Economist-SEA
About this position
If Strategic research & development, communication of science for impact, capacity building, resource mobilization and administration are your strengths then you are probably the person we are looking for! South East Asia has exciting agroforestry opportunities for such work. The position will be supervised by the Regional Coordinator and close coordination with Global Research Project leaders and ICRAF CRP (Consortium Research Programs) Component leaders.
• Strategic research & development.
.1. Conceptualize, design and conduct scientific research and development activities that will inform the process of adoption of agroforestry technologies and their impact on smallholder farmers.
.2. Conceptualize and conduct strategic analyses of agroforestry options to determine their economic feasibility, profitability, and social acceptability.
.3. Conceptualize and conduct strategic analyses of agroforestry linkages with climate change issues.
• Communication of science for impact.
.1. Generate global public goods through synthesis and publication of research results in international-refereed scientific journals and scientific forums.
.2. In collaboration with partners, produce reader-friendly and capacity building materials, including policy briefs
.3. Establish and maintain linkages with strategic institutions to create awareness to facilitate the use of results of science and development of agroforestry to users, including policy makers.
• Capacity building.
.1. Provide leadership in mentoring and technical backstopping of ICRAF and NARS and other local national scientists in Southeast Asia.
.2. Supervise and technically backstop students’ field research and theses
• Resource mobilization and administration
.1. Prepare proposals to funding agencies to support the research and development activities.
• Undertake management and administrative duties as may be assigned from time to time.
The successful applicant will have: Education, knowledge and experience
• PhD in agricultural Economics, natural resource economics, environmental economics preferred
• Seven (7) years post PhD experience working in the area of research and/or education in agriculture or natural resources, with substantial time in developing countries.
• Cognitive experience in translating research results to achieve development impacts among smallholder farm families on the ground and, among different regional/national partner institutions.
• High quality publication record attained consistently in the past years in areas/themes relevant to the position
• Proven ability to write proposals for fund raising.
• Proven ability to collaborate with national partners in a collegial manner.
• Experience in supervising staff and in mentoring junior scientists with partner institutions.
• Good communication skills in English is absolutely necessary; knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia is an advantage.
Terms of offer
We offer a collegial, diverse and gender-sensitive working environment, and we strongly encourage applications from qualified women. This position is on international terms. The appointment will be for an initial period of three (3) years, renewable subject to nine (9) months probation period.
How to apply
• A cover letter illustrating your suitability and salary expectations
• A detailed and up to date curriculum vitae
• The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone, fax numbers and email addresses.
Address these to: Human Resources Unit, World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), PO Box 30677, Nairobi, Kenya OR via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate “Application for Senior Economist-SEA” on the application letter. Applications will be considered until 31 August 2011 or until a suitable candidate is identified and selected.
Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
About us: visit our website: www.worldagroforestry.org
The World Agroforestry Centre (also known as the International Centre for Research in Agroforestry or ICRAF) is an independent research institution which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. As part of the Centre’s work to bring tree-based solutions to bear on poverty and environmental problems, researchers – working in close collaboration with partners – are developing new technologies, tools and policy recommendations for increased food security and ecosystem health.
The Centre’s headquarters are located in Nairobi, Kenya, and research is conducted in 23 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and receive funding from over 50 different donors.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
via email each day. Subscribe to 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to