Did you know?
The combined DevNetJobs Global Network reaches out to
over 0.6 million international development colleagues.
international development recruiters post their jobs on
Global Program Officer, Reading Room
Room to Read
Location: San Francisco
Last Date: September 2, 2011
Email: email@example.com (Reference:
Global Program Officer, Reading Room
Room to Read seeks to transform the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Working in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments, we develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the relevant life skills to succeed in school and beyond.
We are non-governmental, non-religious and work with many local NGOs and community based organizations to implement our programs. We currently work in Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Laos, Nepal, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, and Zambia – countries with a desperate lack of resources to educate their children. Since our inception, Room to Read’s worldwide team has impacted over 5 million children by constructing more than 1,400 schools, establishing over 11,000 libraries, publishing 550 new children’s book titles in 22 local languages, and putting over 10,000 girls onto long-term, holistic scholarships.
Room to Read has an annual budget of approximately US$38 million and our global staff numbers over 420. Our global headquarters is located in San Francisco, and we have smaller fundraising offices in Delhi, New York, Hong Kong, London, Mumbai, Sydney, and Tokyo. We have an Asia Regional Office located in New Delhi, a Southern Africa Regional Office in Pretoria, and program offices in Colombo, Dhaka, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Kathmandu, Lusaka, New Delhi, Pretoria, Phnom Penh, Vientiane, and we are setting up operations and hiring staff for a new office in Tanzania.
The Reading Room Global Program Officer, a member of the Global Officer Programs team, provides oversight and support for the Reading Room program. This includes support for ongoing program improvement as well as collaboration with Regional and Country Offices to ensure the high quality of program implementation. It also includes working with other Departments in the Global Office to coordinate Reading Room programming with organizational systems. The position reports to the Literacy Program Director and includes extensive collaboration with Global, Regional, and Country Office staff. The position is based in San Francisco and includes extensive international travel.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
• Develop and oversee Global initiatives for the Reading Room program (e.g., Global Program Operations Manual and Resource Guide; pilot projects; resource sharing; book sourcing and distribution; Global research and evaluation studies, in collaboration with the Global Monitoring & Evaluation team; Global workshops and meetings)
• Serve as the primary Reading Room contact for collaboration with all Programs teams and other Departments in the Global Office, including but not limited to
o Working closely with the Global Monitoring & Evaluation team to develop appropriate program metrics and oversee the monitoring of Program activities
o Providing information for investor reporting requirements, including tracking, editing, and providing feedback on project reports written by in-country staff
o Supporting the Communications team with stories from the field
• Work with Regional and Country counterparts to develop multi-year operational plans as well as more detailed annual work plans, budgets, and targets
• Work with Regional counterparts to track the quality and timeliness of Country-level Program activities
• Provide direct support to Regional and Country teams related to Program implementation and improvement, including on-site technical assistance
• Assist in launching Program activities in new countries
• Liaise with similarly minded organizations to identify opportunities for collaboration and knowledge sharing
• Represent Room to Read to educate internal and external audiences about the Reading Room Program and the overall Literacy Program at Room to Read
• Supervise staff (currently one Senior Program Associate)
• Other duties, as necessary
• Bachelor’s degree in education, library sciences, social sciences, or related fields (Master’s degree preferred)
• A minimum of seven years of professional experience, including experience working in developing countries or experience working on projects related to educational development in developing countries (Country work experience in Asia and/or Africa is a plus)
• Ability and desire to travel internationally on a regular basis (approximately 30-50 percent of the time)
• Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people
• Effectiveness in working in a non-profit organization that is focused on maintaining high quality work and low overhead
• Prior experience in a fast-paced, growth-oriented global or regional organization
• Proven track record of achieving results
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
• Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously and take initiative
• Legally eligible to work in the United States; no sponsorship provided
To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
• Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
• Be an innovative and creative thinker; you’re not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so
• Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
• Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
• Work well independently as well as part of a team
• Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. Benefits include health, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, commuter benefits, and a 401K match. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing the world through literacy and gender equality in education.
Please send a cover letter and resume by email with “GPO RR - DNJ” in the subject line (no letters, calls, faxes, or drop-ins) to firstname.lastname@example.org. While all applications will be carefully reviewed, we regret that we are unable to personally reply to all applicants due to high applicant volume. Applications are accepted until the position is filled.
Room to Read is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing
the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.
this job of interest to you?
Receive 20-25 jobs & consultancies
via email each day. Subscribe to 3 Months DevNetJobs Value Membership. For only USD 44 for 3 months.
Click here to